Tuesday November 2, 2004 - Boycott action - Organise US Presidential Elections in your town - No Bush - No Kerry: Vote with your wallet!
This is a call for you to organize an alternative polling station for the upcoming US presidential elections on Tuesday 2nd November 2004 in your city/country.
Alternative elections with a table, ballot boxes, etc ... where people do not choose between G.W. Bush or John Kerry (Mr. Bush Light!), but can vote for the end of the U.S. occupation of Iraq, for Kyoto, for nuclear disarmament, the end of U.S. support of Israel, .... and can vote for the companies they will boycott.
It is a global action proposal from the Belgian Boycott Bush network which met last September 1st 2004 in Brussels.
The 2nd November is a good moment to explain that we, as non US citizens, can not vote although US policies affect all of us in everyday life.
We want to state that: "The American public can register their opinions at the ballot box, but for the rest of the world, all we can do is register our opinions via the marketplace." (Gerd Leipold, Greenpeace International Executive Director, April 2001). We have the consumer power so we will vote with our wallet! This is an interesting story for the media.
* Alternative US Presidential Elections in the World
We want to open “real” polling stations morning or afternoon (morning is the best time for media) downtown with a table, ballot boxes, ballot papers, informative panels, posters etc. in as many cities and countries as possible (to make it meaningful). This is an action to which people might enjoy to participate. We can ask the polling material to the town hall. The action can be more strong if we invite local personalities to come to vote. As for a “real” election, there will be a second strong time in this action: the unveiling of our results.
* The ballot papers
We propose to have ballot papers with boxes to tick:
- I want the US to (quit Iraq, sign the Kyoto Protocol…)
- I boycott (Top 6 multinationals)
We are working on a more concrete proposal.
* We will adapt the Boycott Action Kit to the “polling stations” action: http://www.motherearth.org/USboycott/actionkit_en.php.
* We will as well make possible to visitors to vote online at www.boycottbush.org. We inspire ourselves by The US Elections for the Rest of the World, organized by the World Peace Society (based in Australia) at: http://worldpeace.org.au/virtualelection.asp
* We can organize symbolic and visual boycott actions before the 2d November to advertise the “polling stations” action day.
* We still hesitate for the title of the action:
- US Presidential Elections for the World
- US Presidential Elections for Another World (refers to the World Social Forum’s motto)
- The Other US Presidential Elections
Please get back to us with your ideas and input. We hope to have the organisers packet ready ASAP.
Let us know if you plan to organize an alternative US presidential election in your city / country! We are willing to act as an international clearinghouse.
For more information: For more information: www.boycottbush.org
Top of page